Intern in Veterinary Ophthalmology
A fabulous opportunity has arisen for an Intern in Veterinary Ophthalmology to join our friendly and supportive team.
Some duties include but are not limited to:
- To support the entire ophthalmology team in the care of our patients.
- To be responsible for the ophthalmic and general veterinary care of our in-patients. This will involve supporting both the Veterinary team and the Veterinary nursing team. The intern will very much be expected to contribute to all aspects of patient care. There is an on-call expectation on a 1 in 2 basis.
- While we have a dedicated team of ophthalmic nurses, the expectation is that the nursing team will be able to call on the intern to support the day-to-day nursing management which, unless the intern has their own consultation sessions, will take priority over other activities.
The level and type of responsibilities will alter during the course of the internship, however throughout the process the care of the inpatients will remain the responsibility of the intern working closely with the nursing team.
Your normal hours of work are 90 hours per fortnight (14 days). The normal working days of the practice are Monday to Friday, where there is on-call on a 1 in 2 basis, sharing with another intern. This is on a week on-call, week off-call basis working alternate weekends, with a day off following a weekend on call.
We are a multi-disciplinary hospital, located conveniently near Bristol, with excellent transport links to the Southwest and Wales. Our dedicated Ophthalmic suite is fully kitted out with the latest equipment including an Oertli OS4 phaco/VR machine, endolaser, high-frequency ultrasound, ERG, and cross-linking.
About the Team and Culture
We have a dedicated team of Referral Ophthalmic nurses and care assistants. We currently have 9 vets, including AVPs and certificate holders.
- Membership of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Excellent communication skills are essential
- Empathy for clients, their patients, the veterinary surgeons who entrust their patients to our care and your colleagues are of primary importance in this role
- Excellent general small animal medical and surgical skills
- Confident and competent small animal anaesthesia skills (exotic and equine anesthesia experience not required)
- Evidence of previous CPD in ophthalmology
- Evidence of having seen practice with an ophthalmologist/s
- A high standard of written and spoken English is required. For non-native English-speaking candidates, a qualification in English is required (e.g. IELTS (academic, minimum level of 7 (with no elements less than 6.5) or TOEFL (internet-based test, minimum score of 93 - no elements less than 23))
- Competent use of ophthalmic diagnostic equipment
- Previous ophthalmic surgical experience
- Evidence of managing your own ophthalmic caseload in practice. (A list of diagnostic procedures you are comfortable with and examples of cases you have managed would be of great help)
- Previous internship, especially if an element of ophthalmology
- Post graduate qualifications in surgery, anaesthesia, medicine, or ophthalmology
- Evidence of study towards post graduate qualifications in surgery, anaesthesia, medicine, or ophthalmology
- Study towards a higher degree (MSc or PhD)
Benefits - Subject to Pro Rata:
- Enhanced holiday entitlement and increasing holiday based on length of service
- CPD paid days and allowance
- L&D opportunities through the IVC Evidensia Academy
- Enhanced family-friendly policies, including maternity/paternity/adoption/shared parental and surrogacy pay
- Private Medical Insurance
- BVA Membership paid
- VDS cover
- Birthday leave
- Discounted veterinary fees
- Various discounts including retail & gym memberships
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Service-related company sick pay
- Sponsorship for overseas employees
- Initiatives focused on employee wellbeing
- Relocation packages
- Career progression opportunities
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
IVC Evidensia's vets, nurses and support staff are its greatest asset - because only their skills, enthusiasm and dedication can make things happen. ...