This is a fantastic opportunity for a dedicated, enthusiastic and customer-focused Veterinary Nurse to join the team at the Rotherham surgery.
You’ll be a key member of the surgery’s team, assisting our veterinary surgeons in delivering excellence in clinical care and customer service. You’ll assist in delivering preventive services, treating sick and injured pets and be able to demonstrate a real passion for promoting pet wellbeing.
The surgery offers some fantastic facilities and technology, including 9 consultation rooms, 4 operating theatres, 1 dental suite, an ultrasound suite, a CT scanning suite - housing our 128-slice CT scanner, 2 dog wards, 2 cat wards and 2 prep areas.
The practice provides an exceptional and friendly working environment with great career prospects. You'll work alongside our new Head Nurse and Deputy Head Nurse, both of whom have huge aspirations for the team.
About the role:
You will provide first class care to patients and exceptional, 5-star service to the clients.
You will assist our Veterinary Surgeon(s) and the wider clinical team in the day-to-day clinical duties and organisation of the practice with an emphasis on providing a warm, memorable and personal client experience.
This will include:
- Administering first class nursing care – monitoring the progress of the patient and being able to prioritise first aid actions to stabilise and prevent further discomfort.
- Ensuring exemplary standards of patient care – preparing and cleaning patient accommodation in accordance with the needs of the patient and local policy, making sure the patient is safe, secure and clean, monitoring and recording of the patient’s condition.
- Demonstrating expert knowledge – offering clear and concise advice about pet health plans, assisting and supporting clients when caring for their pets.
- Diagnostics – assisting the veterinary surgeon in laboratory diagnostic testing - taking samples as necessary, storing and preserving in the appropriate manner and completing documentation.
- Radiography – preparing radiography equipment, identifying the areas to be imaged and recording results according to practice procedures.
- Hygiene excellence – in line with regulations and guidelines, maintaining the surgical environment and equipment and implementing infection control measures.
- Surgical assistance – assisting the veterinary surgeon during surgical procedures, providing appropriate equipment and materials, operation of surgical equipment as appropriate.
- Anaesthesia – confirming the patient’s condition and the anaesthetic procedure to be administered, performing pre-anaesthetic checks as appropriate and monitoring of the patients throughout the procedure.
- Medication – calculating and administering medication to patients, always maintaining accurate records, dispensing (if you have SQP status).
Duties and responsibilities
- Clinical coaching of Student Veterinary Nurses, as appropriate:
- On at least 2 days per week with each student
- Weekly tutorials and time allocated to discuss NPL and set targets etc
- Allocated observation time daily
- Collaborating in a positive and professional manner with the whole surgery team to deliver best patient care whilst adhering to the practice procedures
- Taking direction from and liaising with the Senior Veterinary Nurse
- Demonstrating flexibility to share daily tasks and responsibilities among the veterinary team
- Undertaking nurse clinics
- Undertaking nursing duties including theatre, laboratory, radiography, inpatient care, nurse consultations, euthanasia duties, monitoring patients, nurse care nights and assisting Veterinary Surgeons according to the Practice Procedures Manual
- Preparing theatres and preparation areas to enable efficient turnaround of procedures
- Undertaking reception duties, when required
- Booking appointments
- Processing payments
- Answering telephone calls
- Dispensing medication as applicable
- Pricing up of routine procedures
- Ordering stock and consumables, ensuring they are correctly stored and participating in monthly stock takes
- Taking care of surgery and laboratory equipment
- Maintaining a clean, hygienic and safe practice and building
- Cleaning floors and surfaces
- Washing and drying animal bedding
- Washing and sterilising surgical instruments
- Cleaning and maintaining dog wards, cat wards and isolation unit
- Reporting of any damage
- Adhering to the Practice Procedures Manual, Standard Operating Procedures and Standard Forms
- Maintaining timely, accurate and up to date clinical notes, monitoring checks and anaesthetic forms for each patient
- Leading by example by consistently demonstrating a caring, professional attitude to clients, patients and the surgery team
- Communicating promptly and effectively with clients regarding progress of investigations, treatment and follow-up care
- Ensuring that inpatients receive the appropriate clinical care and an effective handover is conducted between colleagues and/or out of hours providers
- Supporting the Senior Staff and Leadership Team in promoting the strategic plan and the values of The Pet Vet
- Demonstrating a commitment to continuous improvement
- Special projects as agreed with the Managing Director
Job ID 34349
Browse permanent and locum jobs at RCVS Accredited Independent Practices